Life
If you give up your life - or any part of it - for the sake of Christ, He always finds ways to give it back to you.

"...I have come that they might have life, and that they have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Balsam Mountain

From Robbinsville I traveled to US74/19 north towards the Blue Ridge Parkway. This route, AKA Mountain Waters Byway, takes you through the Nantahala River Gorge.
This river is a popular white-water rafting area.
William Bartram was here....and the Bartram Trail is nearby.
One of the spots you can put in the river....if you want a white-water experience.
The road follows the river with many turn outs & picnic areas.
I stopped at one to watch some rafters.
Want to watch them with me? Click on the video.

There are many such establishments dotted along the length of the river gorge.
Kudzu covered banks and trees.
North of the river we are now on the Great Smoky Mtn. Expressway....still US 19.
We stopped to take a short hike to Soco Falls. It's really a double waterfall...a second one created by the stream coming from the left.
Entering the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I turned south toward a little spur road that goes to Balsam Mountain, a place I have not visited before. The first overlook tells you a little history.
View from there. It was a little cloudy.
Going up...and it's getting cooler!
Balsam Mountain is in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
There is an interesting Masonic Marker here between the Nat. Parks.
What makes it unique is that stones from places all over the world were sent to be imbedded in the marker...including Plymouth Rock, the Rock of Gibraltar, etc.
About the marker...
Turkeys along the road. I thought I saw elk tracks in the parking lot at the marker...found out later that a herd of elk has been reintroduced to this area.
At the end of the paved road there is a trail.
I only took it as far as the first overlook because Roe wasn't allowed on it.
The road continues on a one-way gravel road that ends near the southern entrance of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd love to take it sometime....especially in the fall.
Roe said, why not now? So we walked down about a half mile & back. If the whole road is like the part I saw, I think my RV would do fine. I'd want to check with the rangers first, though. Not this trip.
This is Moe. He's a Cocker-Golden mix. Isn't he the cutest?
Roe meets Moe.
My site at Balsam Mountain Campground.
I had to get out a sweatshirt in the evening...woohoo! May be jeans day tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Been to the Smokeys many time but never heard of this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete