Life
If you give up your life - or any part of it - for the sake of Christ, He always finds ways to give it back to you.

"...I have come that they might have life, and that they have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

Sunday, July 4, 2010

America the Beautiful




July 2, 2010

It is said that Katherine Lee Bates penned the song, “America the Beautiful” after a visit to the top of Pikes Peak.


It is fitting that we visited the summit on the 4th of July weekend and the weather was beautiful for appreciating those same views.


But first, I had to drive up.


Half way....they have water available for overheated engines. Fortunately, we didn’t need any.


Parts of the road are gravel.


Can you see the little blue car halfway up the hill?


We’re not there yet.


Oh my, what a beautiful view. Had to let go with one hand to take a picture...


There’s some snow up here.


We’re still not there yet.


The cog railway we could have taken instead of driving.



We made it!


The views from the top:



I earned this bumper sticker.


On the way down


This road is not for big rigs or trailers.


Now here’s an idiot. He pulled his jeep right up as close as he could to the edge for a photo op.


Everyone is required to stop here for a break check and a mandatory 30 minutes in this gift shop while your brakes cool.


Pikes Peak can be seen in the distance behind the rv.


Hope you enjoyed your trip to the top.



4 comments:

  1. thanks for the memories, I did that trip in
    the cog train a long long long time ago. Would
    love to do it again with my vehicle. There is
    a race every year on that road. I think its called
    the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. I'm gonna have to google that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trip. Loved every minute of it.
    Great guardrail bumper sticker. When Mom and Dad lived in Colorado they had visitors from Florida. The woman who shared the back seat with Mom (men in front, of course) insisted on changing sides every time her side was not on the mountain side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I'm trying to breathe! I was holding my breath the whole way,... I know I'm not a real woman now,... I couldn't drive that road. I have a horrible fear of height. Breathe Cedar, breathe! :) Other than that, those are fantastic pics, Liz,... great way you organized them for us to experience the trip up and back with you. Whew,... I think I'm breathing ok now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO step for a stepper! Guess I am a true MOUNTAINGIRL! I am seeing that I'm gonna need a SMALL RV for all my trips, cuz there's not a road I wouldn't wanna drive! GOod for you!

    ReplyDelete