Life
If you give up your life - or any part of it - for the sake of Christ, He always finds ways to give it back to you.

"...I have come that they might have life, and that they have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

Sunday, October 3, 2010

On the Road Home

I reluctantly bid farewell to Birdie at beautiful Potter's Creek and headed out on TX Hwy 21, a very scenic drive.
How Texas-like to find this coyote skull hanging on a barbed wire fence at a picnic area.
If it wasn't 11 a.m., I would have spent the night at the next rest area. I did pause for lunch here.
Spending the night is permitted in TX rest areas.
I learned a little history... They wanted to make Fort Tenoxtitlan (meaning "prickly pear place") the capital of Texas. Good thing they didn't...Austin is easier to pronounce.

Another view of East Texas
I took these photos at another rest area (rested often). I found out a lot about the Osage Orange after my RV women friends identified it for me. Planted as hedgerows, the wood is good for making bows (as in bows and arrows).
The grapefruit-sized fruit will make you vomit if you eat it, but it repels mosquitos like DEET & people put it in and around their houses to keep the spiders & other bugs away. Also called horse apples, kids use them for baseballs.
My campsite at Magnolia Ridge, a Corps of Engineers campground in East Texas.
Of, why didn't I bring my inflatable kayak?
God reminds us twice every day in colors of red,
of His great love for us and the blood that He shed.
Louisiana sunrise:
Crossing the Mississippi River
A mini get-together with friends Sharlotte & Jim in Baton Rouge.
After spending the night at Big Biloxi National Forest campground in MI, I traveled I-10 East. Sun shining on the water at Mobile Bay (or similar water....I forget exactly).
Welcome to the Sunshine State! Pensacola, FL Welcome Center...Pensacola, home of the Blue Angels
Ok, I'm dragging my feet now. Stopped for the night at a State Park in the panhandle.
View from my site. There's a kayak carry-down path. Oh yeah, I didn't bring my kayak.
But wait...they rent kayaks!
Nope, too windy for me. I'm not a white-water kayaker.
So, I took a hike instead. I miss my dog, Roe.
There are a few more State Parks to check out along the coast....then I suppose I'll go home.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like the Bayway across Mobile Bay. Glad you are enjoying your trip home! So who is babysitting Roe and Bandit?

    ReplyDelete